Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Book Review: "Rediscover Jesus" by Matthew Kelly

I have just finished reading "Rediscover Jesus" by Matthew Kelly. There are three points that are striking me in the book. One was the question "Who do you say Jesus Is?" As I thought about this, I contrasted it to the question many evangelical Christians ask "Are you saved?" Asking someone if they are saved makes us the center of salvation. While asking "Who do you say Jesus is?" makes it about Jesus and our relationship to Him. Asking people if they are saved is off-putting. But the focus needs to be on one's relationship with Jesus, not just with salvation. It is Jesus who saves, and salvation has no meaning apart from spending eternity with Jesus.
The other part of the book that is challenging me is the one on forgiveness, especially of enemies. The author says you have to love Adolf Hitler, love Osama bin Laden, and pray for them. This is very bold. A lot of self proclaimed Christians who claim God forgives themselves do not forgive their enemies. And it is scary to say that Jesus forgives Hitler or bin Laden or Nero and that we should love, forgive, and pray for them. I remember when bin Laden was killed, Pope Benedict asked us to pray for the repose of his soul, and on Catholic radio Catholic leaders were complaining about him saying this.

There is a third point that is challenging me as well. It was about generosity, and giving to others. I don't know if I give enough. Since starting to work, I have been giving more monetary and material gifts. I donate to the parish and to some charities, and I like getting gifts for my family and friends, but I don't feel like I give enough. Or maybe there is something God wants me to share and give and I am unaware of it right now. I also like to make people laugh and cheer people up, and I consider that a sort of giving that I am good at.
I just wanted to make a few quick points about this book.  I recommend getting a copy or even getting more than one so you can share it with others.  This book will challenge the way you think about Jesus, and practicing its principles and ideas will help you to be a better person, a better Christian.  You can buy the book on Amazon, but I think you can get it cheaper at DynamicCatholic.com, as well as ordering it in bulk should you decide to get copies for others as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home